The History of St. Dunstan’s Church of the Highlands Parish
This parish has been serving North Seattle and Shoreline since 1949. We worship at two locations:
- St. Dunstan’s Church on 145th Street between Aurora and Greenwood Avenues.
- The Florence Henry Memorial Chapel in The Highlands.
The Florence Henry Memorial Chapel
The Henry Chapel was built by Horace and Susan Henry as a memorial to their only daughter, who died young. The building design is based on a medieval Scottish church and was opened in 1911. The Henry Chapel is owned by the Highlands’ homeowners association.
During the 1920s, Episcopal services were conducted periodically at the Chapel by the Rev. Dr. Herbert H. Gowen, Professor of Oriental Subjects at the University of Washington. St. Dunstan’s congregation began holding Holy Eucharist at the Henry Memorial Chapel in 1949 and continues to do so at 8:00 am every Sunday.
Establishment of the Parish
In 1949, residents of The Highlands asked the Episcopal Diocese of Olympia to organize a Sunday School. The Rev. Thomas Jessett was sent to supervise the work, and regular services began.
The congregation grew rapidly and was admitted as a mission of the Diocese in 1951. Lack of facilities at the Henry Chapel led to the purchase of a 4.8 acre tract on North 145th Street and construction of the present building in 1959-1960.
The congregation was admitted as a parish and incorporated in 1962, taking the official title “Saint Dunstan’s Church of the Highlands Parish.”
Services still continue in both locations. Otherwise, the parish is united in every way.
Canon Thomas Jessett Organized congregation, 1949-1951
Vicar of the Mission, 1951-1962
Rector of the Parish, 1962-1964
The Rev. W. Robert Webb Rector, 1965-1984
The Rev. Thomas E. Dement Rector, 1986-2008 (Last service was December 30, 2007. On sabbatical until end of March 2008.)
The Rev. David A. Marshall, Rector, 2009-present
Music Directors Serving Saint Dunstan’s
Dr. S. Drummond Wolff, FRCO 1979-1994
Dr. Hartwig Eichberg 1994-2000
Shirley Kimball Hill, AAGO 2001-2006
Carol Foster 2006-2007
Dr. Marion Anderson 2007-2011
Tim Drewes 2011-Present