This week we continue with taking a look at the devotion, “The Stations of the Cross.” The traditional stations of the cross number 14:
- Jesus is condemned to death;
- Jesus takes up His cross;
- Jesus falls for the first time;
- Jesus meets His mother;
- the cross is laid on Simon of Cyrene;
- a woman wipes the face of Jesus;
- Jesus falls a second time;
- Jesus meets the women of Jerusalem;
- Jesus falls a third time;
- Jesus is stripped;
- He is nailed to the cross;
- He dies on the cross;
- His body is laid in the arms of His mother;
- Jesus is laid in the tomb.
In some places there has been added a 15th station: The empty tomb – Easter.
All of these are devotional and are meant to help us “experience” that last day of Our Lord. The stations 3, 4, 6, 7, 9, 13 are based on inferences from the gospels or pious legend. The Book of Services provides for this devotional; however, it should not displace the Proper Liturgy of Good Friday, found in the Book of Common Prayer on pages 276-282.
Continue to have fruitful Lenten Pilgrimage—see you next week.
I remain your bro. John, O.C.P.