Posted on in Saints Are Us by The Rev. David Marshall
On January 6th I had a lengthy article on scams and crooks. It is now TAX SEASON, and they are out there waiting to take advantage of people. There are two places I recommend you visit online:
- states.aarp.org: when you get the page up select Washington and look for the article on “Tax Id Theft.” Click on it to read the article and watch the videos.
- Another reference place to go is the State of Washington Attorney General website for fraud reports and alerts. Search on: www.atg.wa.gov.
A few important points to remember:
- give your Social Security Number, personal or financial information to anyone over the phone or electronically, no matter who they say they are. Ask them for their phone number, and compare to the posted numbers of the IRS.
- Know who you tax preparer is. Someone can look legitimate and be a crook. Always trust your financial records to someone who you know to be reliable. You may have to pay a few extra dollars, but it is worth it.
- File as early as possible.
- Talk to several people who have a preparer for references. Look for tax workshops at legitimate venues like a senior center, or check at your local public library branch for ideas.
DON’T BE A VICTIM!
bro. John. O.C.P.