This is another is my series on alerting you to being cautious. This is the time of year that traditionally door to door sales are up. Like we are to be vigilant about online sales and telephone solicitations, being cautious about door to door women and men is important. There are six basic rules to follow:
- Before opening your door ask to see proper I.D.: Talk through the locked door or an open window to start.
- Disclosure required: Each seller should give you their full name and the nature of the business they represent
- Use good judgement: It is safer not letting the person into your home, even if they want to use the bathroom or get a drink of water. Do not give them cash or a personal check; ask to be invoiced through the mail.
- You must be notified of your right to cancel the order.
- Do not be afraid to say “NO”: Do not be pressured by promises of “Special Deals” or “Free Gifts.”
- Avoid solicitors by displaying a “NO SOLICITORS” sign: Many local regulations forbid someone to call on a dwelling with a sign like that.
If at any point you feel intimidated, do not hesitate to dial 911 and report the incident. Remember—be safe. Listen to your “gut feeling;” it will tell you what is right for you.
See you next time,
I am your bro. John, O.C.P.